Creating a Resume – In Microsoft Word
What you need before you begin:
- Names and dates of previous employers
- Educational information – degrees, subjects, and dates received and/ OR
- Certifications – topics/ subject and dates received
- Names, emails, and phone numbers of at least three professional references.
- A list of relevant skills
To create a Resume in Microsoft Word with a Template:
- Open Microsoft Word
- Go to File – New From Template
- Choose the template you like best
- Choose a color scheme
- Choose a font scheme (keep it simple) – Calibri, Cambria, Times New Roman, etc).
- Click open
- Double click on the section you want to change. It will allow you to put in your own information.
- If you make a mistake and are not sure how to fix it, click ctrl+z – it will undo whatever has just been done.
- Save your work as you go. If you are on a public computer, be sure to save your work to a flash drive. Go to file – then save as.
- Type in the file name you want to use (example – Joe Smith Resume 9-1-15).
- Fine the location you want to save the file - “My Documents” or your flash drive.
- Click save.